Location: Menlo Park, California, US
Facebook is seeking a Performance and Capacity Engineer to join the Capacity Engineering & Analysis team to focus on site-wide performance and capacity projects. This person would be required to work cross-functionally with a number of teams to ensure optimal operation and growth of our computing resources from both a cost and technology perspective. Tens of billions of user requests, hundreds of peta bytes of data, thousands of giga bps of network flow. Help build one of the largest Internet services in the world! This position is full-time.
- Scale the largest web capacity in the world.
- Work with Product Engineering, Infrastructure Engineering, and Data Engineering teams to find the optimal way to scale the infrastructure.
- Own end-to-end product design, launch, and operation: Support architecture design, define networking requirement, and help code build from scratch to support new product launch.
- Tackle the state-of-the-art hardware performance issues: Analyze and debug difficult server performance issues (latest in industry), identify bottlenecks and optimize product/service performance to improve user experience.
- Solve hardest software performance issues: Work with software developers closely to improve code base performance (e.g. algorithm redesign), reduce resource consumption and shorten request latency.
- Plan the largest server and data center capacity: Own and drive overall Facebook capacity planning work for all different products/services and recommend DC expansion plan.
- Develop coolest tools to monitor billions of user requests: Create monitoring, reporting, data-mining tools to do performance and capacity-related tests and analysis.
- Provide deepest visibility to what is going on for all products: Run capacity and performance experiments to determine scaling and utilization parameters for various service tiers.
- Own company server budget and track it: Present performance and capacity roadmap for critical project and cost analyses in presentation form monthly to executive teams.
- Find the game changers and bring them on: Work with financial analysts, operations and engineering to perform cutting-edge technologies investigation and cost analysis.
- A lot of other cool work: Identify capacity-related issues proactively and work with systems, network, application operations and engineering teams to discover resolutions.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- 2+ years of experience in performance engineering or capacity engineering.
- 2+ years of experience in coding & scripting languages such as C, C++, C #, Java, PHP, Python or Perl.
- Database experience.
- Analytical, budgeting and planning experience.
- Interpersonal and communication experience.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Operations Research or other technical field.
- 5+ years of experience in performance engineering or capacity engineering.
- 5+ years of experience in coding & scripting languages such as C, C++, C #, Java, PHP, Python or Perl.
- Experience in MySQL.
- Experience with Hadoop.
Facebook’s mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we’re building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we’re creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities – we’re just getting started.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.